The City of Vancouver joins 1,500 cities and 100 million people worldwide to celebrate International Car Free Day (carfreedayvancouver.ca) with a fun, free street festival:
Car Free Day Street Festival
Thursday, September 22, 2005
12 noon to 8 pm
Water Street from Richards to Carrall
Car Free Day focuses awareness on the social, economic and environmental benefits of reduced car use. It is one of the sustainability initiatives undertaken by the City of Vancouver, presented in partnership with Better Environmentally Sound Transportation (BEST) and the Gastown Business Improvement Society.
– Car-free Foot Parade led by the Carnival Band
– Carnival Band and Joey Keithly (aka Joey “Shithead”)
– Alpha Yaya Diallo
– Take it Easy: A Fashion Show for You and the Planet
– Catlow mainstage performance at 4PM!
– Gaoler’s Mews at Simon Fraser University Philosopher’s Cafe
– Car Part Art exhibit in Storyeum
– BMX free-style bike tricks
– Vancouver’s first ever “Car Park Garden” parked in front of Storyeum
– Pedalling Zoo ride-able bike sculptures
– Climate-friendly Car Park – a fuel efficient vehicles display
All events are free and suitable for the entire family.
For more information contact:
City of Vancouver Sustainability Office, 604-873-7981